Monday, July 11, 2005

Janie's got a gun

So I've been thinking about the whole Life/Death thing, and as I went through the rounds of Blogs I read Lisa's (which you should go read) only to find that she'd been doing the same. So, I decided to throw in what's been on my mind.

A kid died the other day, somebody that I knew once, somebody I had joked with once, laughed with, raised hell in math class with. And now he's dead, the product of unseeable occurences. Somebody that I remembered being full of life isn't anymore and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Funny how the simplest things, the most tedious, daily activities could cost you your life. Everytime you get behind the wheel of a car you're only a telephone pole away from ending everything. Are you going to cross te street there? Well maybe in another four seconds you'll be nothing more a than bloodstain for city workers to wipe up from the asphault.

I had a gun pointed at me once. Just because some homless guy wanted to go buy a taco he pointed a gun at me, or at least made it seem like that's what he was doing. I was walking to a store to visit a friend and could've been shot. Bang. It ended right there. Just me bleeding on the sidewalk with a crowd of people watching me die, waiting for the ambulance that's going to show up a three seconds too late. Is that really what we want? To be the sad topic on the six o'clock news, some sob story for people to remark about and then move on with their lives when the weather report comes on?

When you're about to die you realize the things you love the most, the things you don't want to leave behind. You don't know when you're going to go, whether it's an act of God or just a freak occurance. None of us know how or why or when, all we know is it will. So what we need to do is realize what's important before we go climbing towards the light at the end of the tunnel; because realizing what matters seconds before you lose it doesn't do anybody any good. Your humanity is ticking away with every moment. Your person, who you are, is dieing with every click of the second-hand, and you don't know which second will be yours. So in case you haven't yet, go find your humanity, go claim it and let the world know you've got it. Because nobody cares when a statistic burns, and unless you become a person; unless you open your eyes to the world around you and live, then you are a statistic, you are a number, a product. Lose your number, find yourself.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

------------------------------------------
Dream as if you'll live forever;
Live as if you'll die today.
------------------------------------------
Do you realize
That you have the most beautiful face?
Do you realize
We're floating in space?
Do you realize
That happiness makes you cry?

Do you realize
That everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your good-byes
Let them know you realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do you realize?

Do you realize
That everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your good-byes
Let them know you realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do you realize
That you have the most beautiful face?

Do you realize?

-Do You Realize??
-The Flaming Lips

gnihtyna od ot eerf era uoy taht gnihtyreve esol uoy litnu ton si ti

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger wheatable said...

I read the beginning of this book called Choke. It was written by the auther of Fight Club- three chapters in I put the book down and threw up. I haven't picked it up since--- and if I die tomorrow I will regret not picking it up again.

Chuck's books rip you apart and force you to think differently... much like death. They make you cry and laugh and they make me throw up... but thats what life is about and I have to learn all I can about what that means- what it means to really live. I have to live before I die.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger that lisa girl said...

sousa, I'm glad you weren't just another brief sad sob story on the six o'clock news. I love you.





...thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home