Monday, May 16, 2005

At least I have her love, the city she loves me

I need to get to a city. A big city. I'm not talking about a trip to Salt Lake either. I get this feeling a lot. Things here are too quiet and too peaceful in all the wrongs ways; it makes me uneasy. This place where most everybody is fake and hides behind some happy facade. Where people pretend to get along but mostly do it out of habit.

I need to hear police sirens from some distant avanue; the street vendors shouting their pitches trying to sell cheap necklaces and t-shirts; homelss beggars murmuring unknown blather to themselves.

I want to smell the city. the smoggy, polluted air; I want it to fill my lungs. I want to smell the salty air from the ocean with it. I want to hear the waves crash against the pier; hear the gulls cry out to one another. I want to hear traffic; heavy traffic.

I want to sit on a bench and look out towards the endless horizon on the ocean. I want to hear the Italians and Russians and the Chinese speaking to one another in their foreign tongues. I want to watch the lighthouse rotate endlessly; its light reaching out through the sky. I want to watch the boats cut through the water, leaving the dock for a long trip to an unkown destination.

The city is my muse, my inspiration. It clears my head and lets me think straight. The city is beautiful. I need to get away from here for a little while. I need the daily chaos, I need to feel it.

--------------------------------------
Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner
Sometimes I feel like my only friend
Is the city I live in, the city of angels
Lonely as I am, together we cry

I drive on her streets 'cause she's my companion
I walk through her hills cause she knows who I am
She sees my good deeds and she kisses me windy
I never worry, now that is a lie.

Well, I don't ever want to feel like I did that day
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way
I don't ever want to feel like I did that day
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way

It's hard to believe that there's nobody out there
It's hard to believe that I'm all alone
At least I have her love, the city she loves me
Lonely as I am, together we cry

Well, I don't ever want to feel like I did that day
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way
Well, I don't ever want to feel like I did that day
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way

Love me, I say
One time

Under the bridge downtown
Is where I drew some blood
Under the bridge downtown
I could not get enough
Under the bridge downtown
Forgot about my love
Under the bridge downtown
I gave my live away

Here I stay

-Under the Bridge
Anthony Kiedis; Red Hot Chili Peppers

8 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger Shamae. said...

OAKLAND!!! "We're back in the Bario and to YOU and ME that's Jingle Town, that's home." I fucking LOVE Oakland!! and Berkeley!! and Sacramento! aaahh! California Cities. God, that's comfort to me. Walking the dirty streets....it's just sooo...comforting. I think I know exactly how you feel.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Alex Sousa said...

HELL YES!!! Shamae gets it!

"It's the edge of the world and all of western civilization. The sun may rise in the east, at least it settles in a final location..."

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger wheatable said...

I have a fake smile.

If I go to a city, will my smile be real?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Alex Sousa said...

Location won't change a person, you have to want to be real. You could have a real smile here, you just have to do it.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Alex Sousa said...

Maybe fake wasn't the right word, but they don't have a "pleasantville/idealistic/happy-to-be-in-suburbia-with-ms.-Cleaver" attitude and they don't try to hide behind it. They still have facades, their facades just don't bug me. There are just too many people around here trying to be perfect; suburbia is getting to me

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Shamae. said...

Ms. Cleaver is starting to piss me off, too.

So el hoff-i guess we'll see when you're in New York pretty soon eh?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Shamae. said...

Oh, in Sacramento, there is a new residential skyscraper going up and I want the penthouse. That'd be awesome.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger that lisa girl said...

mmmm.. this place is SO BORING!! just getting away would be good, either to a city or the country... but especially the city. it'd be nice to have some excitement that'd make the heart pump harder, and faster, and let the adrenaline course through the veins... *sigh of contempt* I think we all just need to get away... Sacramento, San Francisco, Cleveland- the REALLY busy ones with a good body of water close by- mmmmhmmm, those are the best!

*evil smirk* heh heh, I've got the car and the license to drive it (finally)... just help provide the gas money and we're outta here!! hell yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home