Saturday, March 05, 2005

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

It's interesting to think of the places we end up. How people's lives twist in and out of eachother. The person you sit behind in the movie theater today may be your best friend in a year. The guy you cut off in traffic may be your future father-in-law. We pass these people without paying any mind to until some fateful day we start travelling on the same path.

Change is a strange creature. Coming as slow or as fast as it pleases. Ten years ago go I never thought I would be where I am now; where will I be in a nother ten? What may seem like a footnote in our life today could be our purpose tomorrow. How many of our stories together are coming to an end? How many are just beginning? How many of us will think our time together is over only to find ourselves in line at the supermarket together? And then what happens?

The truth is some of us may know where we're going in life, but none of us know where we're heading because life points us in different directions with every choice we make. "Goodbye" may not always be the end, and "Hello" may not always be the beginning. I can tell you that five years ago drama was not part of me and never would be. Five years ago I watched movies at Movies 8, I was never going to work there. And five years ago I wasn't your friend, and look where we are now.

People I've sat behind in classes and barely talked to have become some of my best friends. And people I thought would stand by me forever have become a distant memory. I'm excited for the future because I don't know what happens next; to find out where we end up, and who we end up with. Things end, things begin, life is one gigantic maze that is being built one step ahead of us and what happens next is a mystery. Life is a gamble, one giant Roulette game. Who knows what numbers the ball might land on, what color, and what our uptake might be for it. And that is the most beautiful thing.

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
-Seneca (Roman Philosopher)

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, Thought I'd something more to say."

-Pink Floyd (Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour)
Time

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Shexpeare said...

It is weird to think about things like that. It is weird to me that Shamae and kristi went and saw that stupid play at orem jr. and i could have been sitting three rows away from them... and now i love them to death. Or that I saw kristi in a drill dance and didnt think twice about her. Or when I met nicia, I didnt know I would come to respect her as much as I do.I didnt know that the people in my drama class would become what they are to me now. Or that becca would again cross my path.I didn't know that the girl who sat across from me in math, cathy, would become one of my favorite people. Or when i did the tempest in sixth grade that i would love shakespeare one day so much- AH! Its all so crazy! And now you guys know why I have to say hi to everyone and talk to random people , because you never know who will become a good friend.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Cayenne said...

Isn't it great? Not knowing what is going to happen to you? I love it, it's what makes life exciting.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger wheatable said...

Arg! You are so right and that just leaves me wishing I was normal.

I think I told you once that I really do know what my relationship is going to be like with each person as soon as I meet them. I've never been wrong... so far. I'm just waiting to be caught off guard when it comes to people.

Thats just about people though... life is totally different. You never know what is going to hit you with next. I remember one moment last year during King Lear tour, I was sitting backstage in the hell of a costume and I just took like two seconds away from it all. I looked around myself, and at myself. I looked into everyones eyes and I thought, "What am i doing here? How did i get here? Look at me, this is something you would read in a book. this isnt my story." Then I looked at everyones faces and I remembered the friendships and the relationships and the passion behind what i was doing and i thought, "Yea. Thats why. thats why... and them... yea them... thats why i am here."

Life can hit you hard sometimes and you just look around and say something like are you sure this is the plan? Are you sure this is where I want to be? Then you see everyone and remember whey your alive and just connect. There are those few moments where you just connect with life and it wispers to you one of its secrets... then you just thank God that he is in charge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home